1) To recognize and respect the unique qualities, abilities, and potential of each child.
Every child is an individual and it is very important that each is treated as so. There is not a detailed outline on how to teacher and guide children because with each one being special in their own individual way as an advocate there needs to be a certain level of flexibility when working with children. There is not one child that will be the exact same as the child next to them. Individuality should be something that is encouraged when working with children, each child needs to know that they are special in their own unique way and that being different is ok worthy of love and support.
2) To advocate for and ensure that all children, including those with special needs, have access to the support services needed to be successful.
Every child deserves the same opportunities no matter what their circumstances may entail. Whether the child is a special needs child or not every child should be supported and encouraged to grow and learn so that they can become positive members of their community. With the encouragement of those around them every child has tremendous potential it is just a matter of helping them believe in themselves. Part of the educators job is to help the child want to achieve great things and every child is capable some just may require a little more encouragement than others. The end result will be regarding to both sides with dedication and perseverance every child can have the help needed to be successful.
3) To ensure that each child's culture, language, ethnicity, and family structure are recognized and valued.
Our society is full of people from every ethnicity and culture from around the world and all those groups need to be acknowledged for their special qualities and values. Cultural difference need to be given consideration when working with the public. Families from other countries want to know that their differences are important to more people than just their family. From the foods they eat to holidays they may or may not celebrate it all needs to be considered carefully when working with families. The children especially need to know that their differences are valued and they can be treated as equals no matter what their background may be. Their background is just one of the mainly pieces that make them who they are as individuals.
Amanda,
ReplyDeleteAll the ideals in the code of ethics are so meaningful; it was hard for me to choose 3. I relate to your idea of respecting children’s home culture and language. In fact, I come from a different culture, and English is my second language. Knowing that there are educators out there who are open-minded and ready to support my children’s development regardless of where they are from, what language they speak is comforting. You really belong in this field. I will be reading your blog after this course is over.
I think that the three that you chose were excellent. I had a difficult time narrowing down the list to only three, but some of mine are the same as yours. I think that it is important to remember that children are people too, with likes and dislikes as well as personalities of their own that should be nurtured so the may grow into productive members of society.
ReplyDeleteI agree! They were all meaningful to me and it was hard to choose just 3. As a professional in the field I feel that the Code of Ethics should be posted in our classrooms and offices.
ReplyDeleteI had a hard time myself just choosing three, I put the whole thing in there. Each one that I read made me think more deeply on my profession. Amanda the three that you choose are eye opening, children should be treated with respect and br given the oppurtunity to learn regardless of their challenges. thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteAmanda, I wanted to let you know that I so agree with you about cultural barriers. I most recently witnessed a family from China; attempt to register two children for school. The secretary of the school needs some additional training in this matter, because she was rude, short with answers, she was speaking fast, she had an attitude. I felt so bad for the family. So I wrote a letter to the principal of the school to inform her of the secretary’s unprofessional behavior. Education is important to everyone, and to come so far to be treated so badly, is disrespectful.
ReplyDeleteAmanda,
ReplyDeleteI love that the first ideal you listed was the once concerning having respect for each individual student. I couldn't agree more!
Amanda,
ReplyDeleteIt has been wonderful working with you in our first course at Walden! Your passion and love for early childhood education has really shown through, especially in your blog. I hope that you keep up the passion and love for the field!
Thank you for being such a wonderful learning partner. Good luck in your next course!
Lindsey
Amanda, I have really enjoyed getting to know you...although from afar! I have admired the journeys in your life that you have shared. Wishing you luck in the rest of your MS program!
ReplyDeleteAmanda, I have enjoyed working with you this semester. I appreciate your passion for helping children and their families. I hope that you will continue to be successful in your endeavors. Good luck to you in all that you pursue!
ReplyDeleteAmanda, recognizing that special needs children are as important as a child without a special need is a gift in it self. It truly takes a strong educator to step out in the early childhood educational field. I beleive that those educators are some of the shinning stars in this field.
ReplyDeleteIt has been a pleasure meeting you, good-luck on all and any goals that you have to move on in the educational field.