An episode of World Forum Radio introduced me to Susan Lyon, works directly with the Innovative Teacher Project and works with children with disabilities. She see windows in to children's minds that opened her eyes to seeing how children see things. She learns and is inspired by what she saw in other places and enjoys helping others with their professional development. This project works with teachers through discussion groups and exhibits since 1994 has help prove that this quality work can help inspire others to take a closer more in depth look at children and early childhood education.
Information I learned from exploring the website for Center on the Developing Child opened my eyes to "neuroscience and child development research address the “why?” and “what?” questions about investing in young children" (Center on the Developing Child, 2012). There have been many successful programs has begun to answer these latter questions for young children who are at risk for consequences resulting from poor life outcomes. The data showed that with the help of education specialists, and economists it is possible to improve a wide range of outcomes for vulnerable children in the end allowing for the possibility of generating benefits to society far bigger than just the monetary outcome of the programs.
Science has shown that the best time to influence a child's future is while they are young and impressionable thus the importance of solid early childhood programs that teach and nurture the entire child emotionally, physically, and cognitively. According the website the "roots of growing disparities in health, learning, and behavior and what we are doing to promote the well-being of vulnerable children internationally provides a compelling agenda for strengthening policies and investments that focus on the earliest years of life" (Center on the Developing Child, 2012)
Hi Amanda, this is Roikensha. I have never commented on your blog. My cell phone was stolen and as a result, I am having difficulty accessing my original blog account, as I have had to create a new one. So much for modern technology, at times! I too, have not heard back from my international contact. It's not a bad thing though! I have fallen completely in love with the Harvard Center on the Developing Child and their Global Initiatives. There is an abundance of research pertaining to early childhood education, poverty, quality education and poverty. I wish I would have known about this website when I was in undergrad! Anyway, yes, you are right...I remember reading some of the things you posted in your blog. I remember reading about the success of an individual's adult life is determined in the early years!!! That was so powerful to me. I already knew this, but it seemed to read differently. The need for quality, comprehensive early education is huge. I believe it will become an universal topic of importance if research and science continues to produce effective and factual data.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing. I am glad to see so many different organizations that are there to help children who are at risk. It is sad to see the many different challenges that interfere with our children's lives at such a young age, especially when it is at this age our children are most impressionable. It is good to know organizations are out there to help educators as they help children form a solid foundation.
ReplyDeleteAmanda, I feel your frustration about not making meaningful connections from outside the US. I had several people respond to my initial inquiry but, each one would refer me to someone else who may be able to share a dialog with me. I think I have sent out over 50 emails, posted 25 discussion post in various communities in Linkedin and other forums. Still haven't had an ongoing connection. I keep trying and think I have someone lined up though. We shell see. Thanks for sharing, I don't feel so bad, I am sure others are feeling the same frustrations. Take care Julie
ReplyDeleteAmanda,
ReplyDeleteI also made an intial contact and thought we would be able to correspond with each other throughout the class. I was referred to someone else who has not responded back. Many of the websites and articles that I have read this week have all had one central theme....early investments into the development of young children provide the best longterm benefits.
Amanda,
ReplyDeleteI agree, I hate that we are not having luck with this assignment. I do have to say that I am enjoying the alternative assignment because it gives us a chance to look into different websites and listen to the different podcasts. Thank you for sharing what we listened and viewed this week. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we will be able to have connect soon!