Saturday, March 31, 2012

Research Around the World

 

One current international research topic that caught my eye on Early Childhood Australia was "sending unaccompanied children who are seeking asylum in Australia to detention in Malaysia is a breach of not only their human rights, but also their special rights as children and as refugees, according to the peak advocacy body for young children, Early Childhood Australia (ECA)".  These children must be absolutely terrified and to be sent a detention facility alone is unimaginable.  The trauma they are already experiencing and then to send them into yet another scary situation is not in the child's best interest.  Adults need to take in consideration the feeling of abandonment the children are already feeling.  the government should be trying to protect these children and watching out for their needs physically and emotionally I believe should be at the forefront.  Caring for these children should include supporting them when it comes to education so the children have a chance to become successful member's of society and someday can provide for their own families.  providing health care and support services will benefit these children greatly and it is up to the government to help ensure their safety and a feeling of security.


http://www.earlychildhoodaustralia.org.au/early_childhood_news/june_2011_childrens_commissioner_needed_to_protect_children_in_detention_centres.html

3 comments:

  1. That is a scary situation! I guess I missed that section. Did they say if there is a age requirement for that? I can't imagine going through that as an adult, it must be terrifying as a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering the same thing, Angela. What are the ages of these children. Who is standing up for the rights of these kids. They can't speak for themselves. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. Hello Amanda,

    Your blog makes me extremely jealous! I love Hello Kitty and I am 28 years old…Lol. I have an actual
    Hello Kitty collection, I have even decorated my room with Hello Kitty, and I feel really sorry for my husband. My children always try to take my Hello Kitty items. I am happy to see you again this semester. For this week’s blog assignment, when we were asked which of the three items we would part with as a requirement of another country, I decided that I would refuse to part with any of the three items that I would bring. The two items that I could not part with are my photo album and the items of my decease mother. I could not fake and pretend I would part with my items without a fight, they would have to literally take the items from me, and that would be a fight. I love your blog and keep up the great work!

    Warmly,

    Alice Jones

    ReplyDelete