The people I had the pleasure to speak with this week included my coworker who is a Jehovah's Witness. a classmate from high schools who is Mormon, and my good friend from childhood who is African American. The definition of culture was similar between all three; provides the foundation for a persons choice of traditions including religious ways of life. Growing from a religion that is quite different from others seen in know how it feels to be different and face diversity. Needing to refrain from eating foods others eat without thinking growing up a Jehovah's Witness proved challenging. Holidays also was much different because of not celebrating birthdays or Christmas like the traditional American family. Varieties of cultural difference make up the diverse nation we call home. Learning at an early age it is ok to be different and fitting in can be challenging but rewarding knowing that being a special individual just like God planned. Individuals living within one country while observing different traditions and ways of facing everyday life.
Aspects that were not mentioned in my conversations include gender, political views, and emotional differences. These individuals could very well have political views different from myself but that is a topic I have learned can be very touchy for people. Strong political views seem to become more apparent in the months before elections. I am not one to get in heated arguments but it does help me appreciate our freedom of choice that so many countries do not get the same privilege.
I have always believed that our country is very special because of the varieties of cultures that make up the diversity we see everyday. I am extremely grateful for our freedoms we enjoy and I am not judgmental of those that are different than myself because I know from experience what it feels like to not fit in because of obvious difference. The knowledge I am gaining is allowing me to learn more about possible difference. Knowledge is the best way to approach differences.
Hi Amanda,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your blog post. I especially like the phrase "...ways of facing everyday life". I think that truly speaks to the "deep culture" we have learned about this week. We each have our own unique backgrounds that shape the way we move in the world.
You had quite an awray of people to speak with and I am slightly jealous. i would have liked to have been able to have that advantage. Being able to look at diversity from so many points of view is great. I truly enjoyed your post this week.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Tiffany, you were lucky to have very diverse people to interview this week. My friends and family that I interview never mentioned gender or political differences either. They mainly focused on race, religion, and the region where they currently live.
ReplyDeleteAmanda, I agree with you about the USA being a special place due to the diversity. I think other countries however do a better job at putting out the "Welcome Mat" I don't think we are good at accepting people from other countries as equals. America is a great country but the citizens don't understand how good they have it.
ReplyDelete