Saturday, June 23, 2012
Professional Hopes and Goals
When working with children and there families my goal is to learn and grow so that my knowledge of diversity. Learning a families background will allow me to be aware of possible beliefs and customs that could be conflicted with the lesson plans. Caring for each child and their families is important in order for children to feel special and that being different is ok and should be thought of as a down fall rather a unique trait that makes them the special individual they are. A goal I plan to accomplish each and everyday I am working with children is to look at each child as an individual and not judge them or their families prior to getting know them. Assumptions can hinder the building of a strong relationship and in order to teach children that diversity is a natural part of of communities and the world around us. A sincere thank you to my classmates for teaching me so much that I didn't know. I truly believe that learning from another persons experience can provide knowledge that otherwise my be missed within a curriculum.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Amanda,
ReplyDeleteOne of the biggest lessons I learned from this class was to be self-reflective about what our assumptions of a family or child might be and how that could interfere with developing a relationship. Thank you for the reminder here.