Saturday, October 15, 2011

Children vs Standardized Tests

Personally I feel children deserve to be given a chance to to succeed. Every child is unique and that means testing children should not be looked at as "universal". Learning styles are different and they way a child test can also be different. There are so many kids that experience test anxiety and that should be considered when standardized tests are performed. Offering options to kids that maybe need more time or could benefit from someone reading the questions out loud could make the difference of the child achieving a succesful score or failing. The needs of the child should be just as important as find out what a school know and comoares to other schools in the country.
A childs success or failure following stardized testing can effect how the child feels about themselves and those around them. A childs emotional intelligence can be considered a learned strength but if those involved with their everyday life a failure like the test given can hinder a childs understanding of emotion and how they feel anout themselves. I don't think evaluating a child's emotions is correct because just like adults children as long as it is done appropriately should be encouraged to express themselves.. So many time society tells boys not to cry and that is not fair, just they are boys doesn't make it ok to tell them they cannot express emotions. A child's emotional intelligence can effect their interpersonal intelligence. How a child feels aout themselves can effect how they show sensitivity to others feelings and moods. In order to communicate well children need to learn how to communicate and part of that is communicating emotionally.

I have seen first hand how differnet schools in the U.S. Are from those in Mexico. My family would go to Mexico for Christ,as vacation and while my sister and I rarely had homework my cousins would be studying during their vacations. I use to look at their homework in camparison to what I was use to and thinking that I had it easy. The expectations in Mexico seemed so much strict than what was expected from kids in the U.S. My cousin were always talking about the examinations given immediately following vacation and how if they did not study they would not do well which in Mexico would cause disciplinary consequences at home. Children are expected tontake their education seriously because that would determine the future for the child and opportunities available after graduation. From a child's perspective I could see the differences in expectations and although my education was good I wonder if my cousins got more out of theirs compared my sister and I.

2 comments:

  1. Amanda,
    I agree that test taking should not be the only resource. That is why some teachers within their classes utilize book reports and verbal presentations. Each child has a comfort zone and a unique learning style. I do not feel it is appropriate for cities and states to depend upon test taking as a means to find out if teachers are doing their jobs and to give funding. I wonder if teams of individuals who go into the schools and look at every aspect of the school environment, such as head start does, would be a more effective practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that test taking should be individualized to best serve each child. I never thought about the affects that is plays in a child's life though. We, as educators, do not think about the fact that not all children are comfortable taking tests so we give them all the same standards and guidelines to follow. That is the wrong approach for both the educator and the student. We are all different and have different needs. We need to do our best to take care of the needs of the students we come into contact with.

    ReplyDelete